Cruise line will offer longer itineraries, two overnight stays in Dubai and voyages to India
Sign up to get our monthly updates delivered straight to your inbox:
Author: Rebecca Gibson/Monday, March 20, 2017/Categories: News, Building and refurbishment, Royal Caribbean
Penang Port and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. have formed a joint venture to upgrade and extend Swettenham Pier Cruise Terminal (SPCT) in Georgetown, Penang.
Plans include improving accessibility for disabled passengers and extending the existing cruise berths from 400 metres to 688 metres to enable SPCT to simultaneously host two cruise ships with more than 4,900 passengers. Parking areas will also be redeveloped to include spaces for tour buses and ease the flow of traffic in the areas around the terminal.
The Malaysian port will hold a 60% stake in the US$35 million project, while Royal Caribbean will cover the remaining 40%. The project has received support from Malaysia’s state and federal governments, and their associated agencies, including tourism bodies. It will also be a focal part of the Malaysian Tourism EPP6 plan, which aims to create a ‘Straits and Borneo Cruise Riviera’.
Royal Caribbean is scheduled to make 38 calls in Penang in 2017.
Number of views (4609)/Comments (-)
CruiseandFerry.net is the online home of International Cruise & Ferry Review, a twice-yearly magazine that is also available for subscription in both printed and digital formats.
Via our website, magazine and social networks, we aim to be the world's best supplier of news and insight into the global passenger shipping industries. Our content covers both the cruise and ferry businesses, and provides our audience with insight into building and refurbishment, marine operations, onboard experience, ports and destinations and more.
Keep up with the latest
Find a supplier
Download iOS app